Looking for the perfect crunchy peach cobbler recipe to use in the last days of summer? Look no further. Whether you are looking for a canned peach cobbler recipe or just an old fashion peach cobbler recipe this should fit the bill. This recipe should yield 18 servings. If you are looking for something smaller you can 1/2 the recipe using a round pie dish to make a peach crumb pie. Have a great crunchy peach cobbler recipe?
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 pounds fresh peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced (should you chose to use canned peaches, drain the juice and use 1/2 white sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Crumb Topping is optional but delicious.
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter
Mix butter, oatmeal, flour, sugar and pecans until crumbly; sprinkle over top of the cobbler at step 4.
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Work in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cold water. Sprinkle over flour mixture, and work with hands to form dough into a ball. Chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Place in a 9×13 inch greased baking dish, covering bottom and halfway up sides. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. In a large saucepan, mix the peaches and 1/2 cup butter, and cook over medium-low heat until butter is melted. In a mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cornstarch; mix into peach mixture. Remove from heat, and pour into baked crust.
4. Roll remaining dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut into half-inch-wide strips. Weave strips into a lattice over peaches. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Add the crumble mixture if desired.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until top crust is golden brown.
6. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
7. Sit back and enjoy the waning summer days.
Additional Peach Cobbler Recipes to Try: