From the Cleveland Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook, copyright 2007, published by Broadway Books (see link to book on Amazon.com below).
Frozen puff pastry comes to the rescue for a quickly assembled dessert that can be adapted as various seasonal fruits arrive at the market.
Makes 12 servings
- Refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 quart fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar substitute
- Unbleached all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of a 17.3 oz. package), thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Frozen light whipped topping, thawed (optional)
1. Preheat the over to 400°F. Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place the berries in a bowl. Stir in cornstarch, lemon zest and sugar substitute, making sure that all berries are well coated.
3. On a lightly floured board, roll the puff pastry to a 12 x 14-inch rectangle. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Mound the berries on the pastry, leaving a 1-1/2 inch border. Fold in the four corners. Using wet fingers bring up the border of the dough over the edge of the berries, pleating as you go to form a rustic free-form oval or rectangle. Sprinkle the berries with lemon juice.
5. Generously coat the top of the tart with cooking spray and bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the berries are cooked and the pastry is golden.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of light whipped topping, if desired.
VARIATION: Apple Currant Tart
Substitute 3 large peeled, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples for the berries. Add ¼ cup dried currants that have been softened in 2 tablespoons dry sherry. Reduce the sugar substitute to 2 tablespoons. Add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon. Bake according to master recipe.
Looking for more delicious ways to eat healthy? You’ll find 150 taste-tempting recipes in the Cleveland Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook.
If you have any suggestions on recipes to add to this website, please contact us
More Blueberry Tart Recipes:
- Tart that Couldn’t Be Easier!
- Paula Deen’s Recipe!
- Zoe Bakes – Wild Tart – Great Photos!
- Zoe Bakes – Red, White and Blue Bakewell Tarts
- Antioxidant Fruits
- Acai Berry and Cancer
- Acai Berry and Sex
- Acai Berry
- Acai Fruit
- Acai Links
- Acai Recipes
- History of Acai
- Acerola Cherry
- Antioxidants in Tart Cherries
- Aronia Berry and Cancer
- Aronia Berry Recipes
- Aronia Berry Uses
- Aronia Berry
- Aronia Plant Description
- Moist Banana Bread Recipe
- Banana Nutrition Facts
- Blood Pressure Control
- Benefits of Antioxidants
- Blueberry Tart
- Camu Camu
- Concord Grape
- Dried Fruit
- Exercise and Fruit
- Freeze Dried Fruit
- Kiwi Fruit
- Nashi Pear (Asian Pear)
- ORAC Value
- Order Antioxidant Juice
- Passion Fruit Names
- Passion Fruit
- Pick Pears
- Purple Grapes
- White Grapes